Thursday, 22 December 2016

Saved? By the Flu...

  

 Christmas is nearly here and it has been bonkers around here.  Last night was the first night in over 3 weeks that my hubby was home at a decent hour.  As much as I was so happy to have him home... I thought I had a few more hours to get what I needed to do done... And I had been procrastinating ALL DAY!  Do you ever have those days?  You know what you need to do, but you seriously lack the motivation...  Well my procrastination bit me in the butt..  My oldest son got the flu on Monday night... I was thinking we had skipped the sharing...

   Until 4:00pm When my middle son started puking on Wednesday night!  UGH!  I will not miss this stage of holding bowls and rubbing backs while they cry as they heave into buckets.  My poor little buddy gets so scared by it.  He kept saying between heaves "mom, I really don't like it."  As pitiful as it was, it was also a little comical as this poor buddy can barely stop heaving, he finds a minute to tell me how he doesn't like it.. Ummm, not sure anybody does!  



   Anyway, about 1/2 an hour after that began, my hubby walked in the house...  Because he has been gone so much there are a few things I haven't been able to fix in our house that require his attention and expertise... Like a plugged toilet, thanks to my youngest!  It has been unusable since about 2 weeks ago and it is the only upstairs toilet.  So imagine my delight when my oldest got the flu and I am running buckets up and down the stairs all night long.  And then imagine it again when the second buddy starts heaving.  MERRY CHRISTMAS! haha... I have a pretty good sense of humour, I know we will laugh about this in years to come... Right?!

   So my hubby walks in, sees the situation and had thankfully come home with the wax seal to be able to fix the toilet after having to take it off.  At this point he has walked around the house and seen the condition of it.  

  "When did he start getting sick?" he asks with a  testing tone.

   "4:00." I respond.

   He has a look on his face, I can see wheels turning "So what did you do today then?" There is a very slight edge to his voice, very slight, nobody else would have ever noticed it.

   What was I supposed to answer with, I hadn't done anything other than help clean my middle sons room which in the time I was doing nothing was now destroyed again.  "Nothing, except clean buddies room which now looks worse than when we started."

   Any more conversation came to an abrupt end as a sheik came from my son as he cried that I needed to come help him again.  It is amazing how fast a mom can move when the thought of a child puking everywhere is a real possibility.

   Hubby went to work removing the toilet, I settled my middle buddy back into bed, and decided to put our youngest in the bath.  There he would at least be contained and wouldn't be anywhere near a puker.  Excellent.  My oldest was voluntarily washing dishes!? I didn't go down to check on him, why risk wrecking a good thing!  No time anyway, I'm being called again!  When my middle guy gets the flu it is a lot of work.  He gets sick over and over and over... 

   Hubby calls, he needs help searching the underside of the toilet for what is blocking it while he holds it tilted.  Re-tuck in middle buddy and run to hubby.  Glove up and get to work fishing, I find something... After about 10 minutes of maneuverings, twisting, pushing and pulling I finally find the right angle to pull it out of the extraordinarily small hole at the bottom of this useless toilet (this is not our first time having issues with this toilet, it is a STUPID design!).... Out pops a Hot Wheels SUV! YAY!!

pretty similar to this one!
   To be safe I shove a plastic knife back up the bottom end in case there is anything else up there.  We hear a *Plunk*.  Open the toilet lid and burst out laughing.  There in the bowl is a hot wheels ship!  How ironic that our toilet is plugged by a small boat.  We are either crazy from the past couple of weeks or that is actually funny!  Ok, all is good...  Middle son is yelling again, quickly throw the gloves off and get there just in time!  Re-Re-tuck son into bed, youngest has pulled the plug and is yelling to be taken out of the bath.  

   Hubby is re-installing the toilet and I am giving our youngest post bath snuggles.  He is so cuddly that this has become a little ritual, wrap him in a towel and he snuggles for a little while.  It is adorable... But middle son is yelling again, plunk cuddler on the floor and quickly run again, barley making it in time.  Whew, I made it!  Re-re-re-tuck him in.  Now to deal with a crying cuddler!  Get him ready for bed only to hear my hubby starting to slam things angrily in the bathroom.  (Remember I have said he is pretty even keeled! Ya, slamming, not a good sign... AT ALL!) I get crying cuddler settled, start to head to the bathroom, get side tracked by puker.  Deal with him, re-re-re-re-tuck him in...

   Hubby emerges from the bathroom, the toilet is still plugged!  Oh My Gosh!!  He tries plunging, Nope... He and my oldest (who has now done dishes and cleaned the table and tidied the foyer) go to the store to get more things.  While they are gone I get our youngest tucked into bed and go to my youngest, who knows how many more times... Ive lost track of the re-re-re-re tucks at this point...  Hubby comes back with treats for me... (what a wonderful man!) and more toilet stuff.  He Re-takes off the toilet and after several minutes of using a fish-thingy out pops a Fisher Price car... Those are much larger than Hot Wheels!! No wonder it still wasn't flushing!!!


   He re-re-installs the toilet and to all of our delight!! ITS WORKING!! YAY!!  My middle son is still very much puking... But my other two kids are sleeping soundly and I now have a toilet upstairs to run to rather than going downstairs all night.  My hubby collapses into bed and is asleep in minutes.  The puking episodes ended by about 1:30 in the morning and my buddy was able to get some good sleep until about 9:00 this morning.  What a glamorous life I lead!  HAHA!

   Now the reason for the title of this post.  My hubby was getting ready for work and casually mentioned the state of the house.  "Your going to get the house clean today right?"  I might have a cheeky streak in me and I just grin back at him.  We have a child sleeping in our room so I know my bottom is safe at the moment.  He grins back with a look in his eye that looks less than favourable for my bottom... "Coming home yesterday to the disaster that I did and knowing you didn't do a thing... Well lets just say that given the circumstances you got lucky, but know, that if I come home tonight and the house looks like this you will not get off again."  He leans over and kisses me goodbye, "I mean it, tonight can be fun or not, it will depend on you."  
This will not be me tonight!!
   I may have a cheeky streak, but I'm not an all out pusher, you can bet your bottom and mine that this house will be clean tonight!  It will sparkle from floor to ceiling... Haha... So that was my little adventure.  

   And on another note!! Tuesday was my ultrasound!  We were finding out if we remain a boy house or if we will be changing our adventure to include some pink...  I didn't know how I felt as I hadn't dared to get my hopes up... and didn't know how I would feel about having a daughter at this point anyway.  Well, the ultrasound tech was able to get a very good shot... And I burst into tears when she told me I am carrying my daughter!!  I am over the moon, still crying whenever I think about it.  We are telling our family on Christmas Day, but I wanted to share here because I am bursting!  


   So Merry Christmas to everyone, bottoms were saved, babies are being born (soon) and all is looking up in this household! (as long as I get off here and get to cleaning that is)!  So in case I don't have time to get on here before, I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and hope that your homes are happy and HEALTHY this holiday season!


13 comments:

  1. Congrats, Leigh, a girl, so awesome! Oh, so much fun to have a sweet girl! I'm very excited for all of you!

    I love your post today as I can so sympathize. Been there done that except in my house, if they are puking better call for Daddy because I'm a sympathetic puker. No one and I mean, no one, wants that. LOL. Praying your youngest stays healthy and so do you.

    Merry Christmas!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Baker! I have never been a sympathetic puker until this pregnancy!!! ๐Ÿ™ˆ I was able to hold it together for this round but when my oldest was sick at the beginning of the week... Ya, it hit hard๐Ÿ™Š

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leigh, oh my goodness, what a crazy day you and hubby had! You both must have been exhausted! Sorry but I did giggle at the toilet 'unblocking'. Wow, how many toys can one toilet hold? lol. I hope everyone recover quickly.

    A little girl, such wonderful news, I'm so happy for you :)

    Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful time together and enjoy the holiday season.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Roz๐Ÿ˜‚
      I was hoping some people would get some comedic relief from it๐Ÿ˜‚ I can see how we will laugh in times to come... We are still blown away with how many toys were in the toilet as well๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

      My boys are thrilled to be getting a sister ๐Ÿ’ We will be announcing her at Christmas ๐Ÿ’• It feels like it is taking forever to get here though!!

      Merry Christmas, hope you have an amazing Christmas and New year ☺️

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on expecting a little girl Leigh. Boy your household was sure chaotic with your boys sick and the toilet broken. Glad its all settled down now.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy,
      We are very excited๐Ÿ’
      Sadly the house is far from settled down.... Now all the kids are sick in one form or another... And oh! Sooo emotional๐Ÿ˜‚ Everything is making them cry... I am very seriously considering postponing Christmas ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

      Delete
  5. Love this post, it made me giggle a lot bless you. Congratulations on your baby girl! ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisy,
      I'm glad you enjoyed my post๐Ÿ˜‚ I tried to capture some of the comedy of the whole situation ☺️

      Delete
  6. Goodness, what a lot of toys your little one sent down the loo, no wonder it was blocked! So sorry to hear they're all poorly now, you must be run ragged. I hope they'll feel better by Christmas Day.
    Congratulations on the news you're expecting a daughter.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ought to get a medal for Most Devoted Mom of the Week! I had to laugh at parts of this post. It has been a long time since I was up in the middle of the night with a sick child. Believe it or not, my boys always called for Daddy.

    Congrats on your Christmas gift this year! What happy news!

    Merry Christmas Greetings From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Ella☺️ Thankfully I think the flu has finally passed... But my oldest ended up in the hospital last night with breathing issues ๐Ÿ˜ฅ He is much better today, but that was a scary one... Christmas has been cancelled with our extended family... So we will enjoy a quiet Christmas at home with just is. I think the relaxing is just what the dr ordered☺️
      Merry Christmas Ella! I hope you have a wonderful time☺️๐ŸŽ„

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

    You have the patience of a saint. Dealing with sick kids and finding out the toilet had been plugged with toys?! One of those kids would have gotten it from me - no toys in the toilet, LOL.

    ReplyDelete